As a proofreader, you need an eye for detail, a love for language and a motivation to meet deadlines! Our job is to make sure texts are engaging and accessible to the retail market.
This also entails checking that advertising copy is free of any grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalisation or formatting errors. Proofreaders thrive under pressure and maintain accuracy standards – generally perfectionists, language specialists and everything in between.
- To ensure that the text of any product that involves writing is free of any errors
- Ensuring that copy is in line with the style sheet of the particular brand that you are working on
- Translation of copy from English to Afrikaans and vice versa
- The final sign-off of proofs before it goes to print
- Ability to find mistakes in the copy, accurately check and correct grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and punctuation errors.
- The text matches the original
- Style is correct and consistent
- Page numbers, headings and captions are correct
- Photos and illustrations are correctly captioned.
Minimum relevant experience and skills required
- At least one year’s proven experience in proofreading/editing
- Superb language skills
- Ability to translate from English to Afrikaans and vice versa
- Proofreading/editing English and Afrikaans text
- Attention to detail is imperative
- Hardworking – be prepared to work additional hours when necessary
- Must be able to work well under pressure
- Must be a good communicator
- Candidates should have good command of English grammar and vocabulary.
- Being proficient in language and writing style is crucial.
- Attention to detail is non-negotiable
- Tertiary qualification majoring in English/Afrikaans or journalism degree.
Posted on 06 Sep 15:36