This role offers a rare opportunity for a creative team-player to step into a challenging editor’s role, working across a range of fiction for 5 to 14 year olds, and with high profile authors and artists. Reporting to the Fiction Publishing Director and supporting commissioning editors across the fiction team, the Editor plays a key role in the fiction team.
Key tasks and accountabilities
- Full desk editorial responsibilities for a range of titles including high profile fiction acquisitions, copywriting, and ensuring titles are delivered on time, to budget and to specification.
- Managing relevant editorial listings to ensure accurate and up-to-date title/list information is available internally and externally.
- Liaising with authors, artists and agents at all points in the process, and working with the Managing Editorial team to schedule freelance copyeditors and proofreaders
- Conceiving and suggesting to the senior editors new product development and backlist initiatives
- Managing all aspects of approvals for key sales initiatives
- Reading and reporting on submissions for the whole team
- Strong and current editorial experience in children’s books with a proven track record of working on projects at each stage from layout to publication
- Relevant children’s book market knowledge
- Knowledge of eBook market and experience of eBook QA
- Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills
- Organised, efficient, self motivated
- Strong author care skills
- Good design eye
- Excellent communication skills across all levels
- Awareness/understanding of budgets
- Team player
If you wish to discuss anything regarding this position and/or your application to this role, please reach out directly to our Senior Recruitment Manager at Kally.firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading ‘Vacancy Query’ plus the job title and we will aim to get back to you within 5 working days.